Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pumpkin Scones

Totally NOT my own recipe, but the best one I have found so far. Found it on the browneyedbaker.com site, and made a couple of slight modifications to simplify.

2 cups all-purpose flour
7 T granulated sugar
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
6 T cold butter ( I use the good, unsalted, real butter, not margarine)
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
3 T half and half ( I substitute the liquid french vanilla coffee creamer, just because I always have it on hand)
1 large egg

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Combine dry ingredients in food processor. Cut butter into pieces, add to dry ingredients, and pulse again til well blended. Mix wet ingredients together in small bowl, then add to processor and pulse til dough forms. Pat out onto floured board into a wheel shape about 1/2 inch thick. Cut with pizza wheel into 8 wedges, place on baking sheet or stone, and bake just until lightly golden. Let cool on rack and glaze with the following

Glaze: this is not exact in measurement (some things I just eyeball!), but a large scoop of powdered sugar, a dash of maple flavoring, a splash of coffee, and a tiny splash of milk. If needed, you can add more powdered sugar to get the right consistency of a thick glaze, but just wisk it all together, and drizzle the scones generously.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

  1. I am scared to death to try and make scones...you make it sound so easy...any words of advise for a first timer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really IS easy! The food processor is the best way I have found. Just pulse together in the order listed. Also, I use a spatula to move them from the board to the baking stone. If you find you need more help or they don't turn out right, let me know and we will troubleshoot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look incredible!! Marking my spot!

    ReplyDelete